- Singaporeans can score unbeatable prices when they are travelling this holiday season
- Prices for Adidas, H&M, Levi’s, Nike and Uniqlo can be at least 20-30% cheaper in certain countries
- Singapore travellers should avoid shopping in mainland China, Denmark, Hong Kong and Sweden for Levi’s, Nike and Uniqlo
Singapore, 7 November 2023 – Global technology company Wise has revealed significant pricing disparities in six popular fashion brands across 30 destinations in a new study*. Singapore travellers gearing up for the year-end holiday season can expect to score a deal and save a whopping 20% on average, at Zara, H&M, Uniqlo, Nike, Adidas and Levi’s stores - if they know where to shop.
Destinations like Japan, Malaysia, Indonesia, Hong Kong and India offer unique opportunities for savvy travellers looking to get more bang for their buck when it comes to clothes shopping. Individuals on the hunt for wallet-friendly shopping destinations for Adidas, H&M, Levi’s, Nike and Uniqlo should look no further than these destinations across the globe:
- Japan: More than 30% off for Adidas and H&M, plus nearly 20% off Nike and Uniqlo
- Malaysia: Enjoy H&M at nearly 40% off, 18% off Adidas and save over 20% on Nike
- Indonesia: Snag a steal with Levi’s at prices up to 36% cheaper, and 27% off Nike
- India: Enjoy nearly 30% cheaper prices for Levi’s, 32% off Nike and 28% off Zara
Conversely, Singaporeans should steer clear of shopping pitfalls for certain brands in mainland China, Denmark and Sweden. For those eyeing their next purchases from Levi’s, Nike or Uniqlo, avoid these destinations:
- Mainland China: Expect to pay more than 40% extra for Levi’s and 12% more for Nike
- Denmark: Uniqlo prices can cost on average up to an eye-popping 120% extra, Levi’s at more than 50% and over 10% more for Nike
- Hong Kong: A pair of Levi’s jeans might set a shopper back by nearly 80% more than what they would pay in Singapore
- Sweden: Expect up to 90% steeper prices for Uniqlo
On top of taking advantage of these price disparities to make informed shopping decisions, here are a few ways to save money while shopping abroad:
- Use a multi-currency card: Opt for a multi-currency card to spend abroad to avoid hidden transaction fees and fx fees. The Wise multi-currency card allows you to hold over 40 currencies and convert them at the mid-market rate (the same rate as you see on Google) within the Wise app.
- Pay in the local currency: It is always cheaper to choose the local currency (without conversion) when withdrawing money or using a travel money card to pay in shops.
- Watch out for hidden fees: Some banks will charge a currency conversion fee, and a marked up exchange rate - meaning shoppers can pay two types of fees without realising it. Be mindful of this, and steer clear of terms like ‘fee free’
Wise researched the prices of specific clothing items from major fashion brands (Adidas, H&M, Levi's, Nike, Uniqlo) in over 30 destinations. The analysis involved comparing the prices of various garments in the respective local online store and currency against the corresponding item in the Singapore online store. The exchange rates used were sourced from Google Finance as of 27 October 2023. Not every clothing item was available in every destination, and in such cases, the item was excluded from the analysis.
Wise bears no responsibility for actual prices encountered in physical stores. We strongly recommend verifying in-store prices during your visits.